Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Other Heros from the 30's and 40's

This is William Powell. He's best known for the Thin Man series with Myrna Loy. I think he was absolutely the most charming man. Not exactly handsome but what a personality! Intelligent , Witty comments, fabulous clothes and apartments. I wanted to be Nora to his Nick Charles.

Next Alan Ladd. There's something about detectives, isn't there? Handsome, soft spoken but full of controlled passion.
I wish men still dressed like they did in the thirties and forties. The movies have really shaped my idea of ideal men. And life-styles. Too bad it's not really real. In the movies in the thirties, everyone lived in elegant apartments or mansions. I think that's why we all love antique and vintage things...it reminds us of what we grew up with or wanted to grow up with.

8 comments:

PAT said...

Hi Susan, I came by to thank you for stopping by the back porch and your comment. What a treat to see one of my all time favorites, William Powell!

Pat

Justabeachkat said...

Awwww...so many handsome dashing men!

Thanks Susan for identifying my "what-cha-ma-call-its". I think you're right - agapanthas. I love 'em.

I've planted both yellow and purple lantana too. I think the purple is my favorite.

It's raining here today so my plants are loving it.

Hugs!
Kat

blessings said...

Aren't the old movie homes just dreamy?! Blessings... Polly

j said...

I agree with your statement about why we love vintage.

Very Cool post!

Jennifer

Cottage Contessa said...

Oh yes, I most certainly do agree! Hope you have a lovely weekend sweetie!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Attic Clutter said...

AH YES Ladd and Mitchem they were the wow's of their day weren't they(:)
Thanks Susan so nice of you to come by an leave a sweet message.. I agree it is so easy to pass by someone who is different...(:) thanks and love your banner~!! hugs Patty

Anonymous said...

Ooh, yes, I like vintage glamour too; the clothes, the architecture. It's easy to forget the stresses and real misery of the Great Depression and the six years of WWII.

Kate

kari and kijsa said...

Handsome men! just classically dreamy!!

blessings,
kari & kijsa