Sunday, November 16, 2008

California Fires

As you probably know we are having devastating fires here in Southern California. The fires nearest to me started right off the 91 freeway in Corona. Corona is the nearest city west of where I live. The fires have spread to Yorba Linda, Brea, Carbon Canyon, Chino Hills and the edge of Diamond Bar. Brea is the town I grew up in.

We are east of all the fire areas and are in no danger. The 91 freeway is a major link from the Inland Empire (everything east of Orange County) to the O.C. and Los Angeles. Yesterday the freeway was closed for many hours.

This is the biggest fire I can remember. So many areas are burning at the same time. Fire is one of the major drawbacks to living in So. Calif. Our climate is very much like a desert and we have had very little rain. So all the brush burns easily. The sad thing is that very often people will start these fires. It doesn't take much to start a fire that will burn out thousands of acres. Many people have evacuated, and are losing their homes and property. So far no one has been reported as killed by the fires. Thank God for that!

Please pray for the many families who have lost so much!

The photo is courtesy of the internet news services.

3 comments:

Nola said...

Girl, I was thinking of you and another blogger I "visit" regularly. You both live in CA, and I was wondering if you were out of danger. I'm glad you posted to let everyone know!

The Southern Mom said...

I was thinking about you and the fires today and hoping you're not anywhere near. Thank goodness you're not!

Re: Happy Birthday to my sister. I'm not sure if she's seen it yet. She's in Iraq. Not as a soldier, but working for a construction company (she and her husband)! I'm sure when she sees it, she will be surprised!

Anonymous said...

It is so sad to watch the fires on the news... I feel so bad for everyone who has been affected by the fires. My thoughts and prayers are with you... Donna